Banner

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Mmmmm...I love pie.



Yes, I love pie. I hate cake, but I love pie. Banana cream is yummy, and apple, and peach, and well, just about any kind of pie. How can one hate cake? Well, I don't know. I just do. I also hate donuts, most cookies and cupcakes. But mind you, I LOVE candy. I'm weird, I know.

But, the reason for this post is I just watched Waitress. What a lovely movie! I could very much relate to the main character. I find the phrase funny though - 'if only life were as easy as pie.' Yes, I know it is common - easy as pie, but really, pie isn't that easy, at least if you want to make a good pie, and even harder if you make everything from scratch. Who started that phrase anyways?

SIDE NOTE:
Okay, so I'm the dork who googled it...

As easy as pie
Origin: There are many similes in English that have the form ‘as X as Y.’ These almost always highlight some property (X) and give an example of something that is well-known to display that property (Y). For example, ‘as white as snow,’ ‘as dead as a dodo’ and risking a group slander action from our noble friends, ‘as drunk as a lord.’

How though, are pies thought to be easy? It seems that, while not being easy to make, pies are generally thought to be easy to eat. At least, that was the view in 19th century America, where this phrase was coined. There are various mid-19th century U.S. citations that, while not using ‘as easy as pie’ verbatim, do point to ‘pie’ being used to denote pleasantry and ease.

– Source: www.phrases.org

No comments: